Sunday

OMG....What To Do...What To Do......Again

What To Do, What To Do.........Sometimes it's seems that I go from a dog health care worker, to dog day care worker.  I just can't decide which one I lean to.  It started out with a little yard work from me.  I was riding the 4 wheeler hauling stuff around the farm.  As usual, the dogs thought I was just doing it for them and they would run back and forth wherever I was.  It was a sunny day but not particular hot or humid, about 82 degrees.  I rode over to the lake and I was so proud that Molly was getting into the water, "All The Way In" which she never does.   She even laid in the water just to get her body all the way under the water.  I thought this was a little odd so I watched her a little closer.  She would attempt to move and walk but couldn't.  Now I was concerned......  She looked at me and I knew she was in trouble.  I thought I was going in the water to get her because she was so unsteady.   She was panting and breathing very heavy and looked disoriented.  Molly was having a "Heat Stroke".  I have read about this many times before and knew the signs.

The most common clinical signs of heat stroke are:
•weakness
•loss of balance
•excessive panting
•roaring breathing sounds
•excessive salivation
•decrease in mental awareness
•collapse and death

I knew immediate attention was required, I just didn't know where she was on the list.  She had all the symptoms but the last one, and that one didn't seem too far off.  I carried her into the house and laid her down and placed her on the floor and put a fan on her.  She would attempt to move but couldn't.  I got down on the floor with her and stroked her face, just to comfort her and to keep her still.  It seemed that she could not get "cool" fast enough.  I knew that you didn't want to cool her any faster by using cold water, as it can actually be counterproductive. Cooling too quickly and especially allowing her body temperature to become too low can cause other life-threatening medical conditions, so I just had to wait it out, which we did together.  Little by little she started to get better and would respond to me.  She got up and tried to get in her favorite chair and couldn't.  I lifted her up, and there we stayed for the rest of the day, me holding her paw and rubbing her head.   She is fine now and seems back to normal.  If this does occur, and it can so quickly, seek professional help if you are unsure of what you are doing.  We were lucky.  Molly usually doesn't play as hard as the others, I'm just glad we caught it in time.....and she had the gumption to get in the water even if it was uncomfortable and I'm sure this saved her life.  They are so smart....

 Keely, one of our borders, is still with us, she has fit right in and can be trusted with most anything.  She is a very loving dog and loves to run full speed and jump on me just to show me she is there.  She has no fear and is very outgoing.  She is a sweetheart.
This brings us to two new boarders for the week. 
 

 Ranger and Murray aka (also known as) Frick and Frack or the Bobbsey Twins.  They are litter mates of Meg and are brothers that came to stay at the same time.  They run and bite each other and are wet all the time, from the Koi pond, lake or even a bucket of water for drinking on the back porch.  They love to shake the water off when I'm near and get me soaking wet.  Another thing, they love to do, Murray will get between my legs and Ranger will attack him in a loving way and this is where they will battle.  I will tell you, this is just a little uncomfortable for me, because of the location, but every time I "shoo" them away, they come right back for more.  They are just big pups that love everything all the time.  The good thing, All the dogs get along and there has never been a problem.  Life is good...

Annie Belle  (4 weeks)