Sunday

Keely



Keely was born last year.  She came to stay with us for a couple of weeks in July.  She was the largest of her litter and appeared to be very keen from birth.  She was dropped off while her owner went on vacation, and as her pick up time neared, I got an email explaining there was a family emergency and her owner had to go out of town for an extended stay.  I was happy to keep her but there were other dogs coming and I didn't know how they would all get along.  I try very hard to give all my attention to the dog that visits to keep them busy and protected.  My biggest fear is while I am busy or doing something, they would wander off in the woods, never to return.  I can't imagine making that phone call.  Some of the dogs have scared me at times when I couldn't find them, only to walk in the kennel and they were fast asleep where they were born and started their little life.  I guess this will always be their home in one way or the other. 
As the other dogs came to board, Keely was a trooper, keeping them in line and always busy.  She helped with the chores very nicely.  Keely became one of ours in the time she was here which was a total of a month and a half.  She is a great dog that had lots of skills and personality.  She followed me around and loved to give and receive hugs and kisses.  I have an area that I can have some alone time with just one dog, and a couple of times, Keely, while I was with Annie, jumped the fence and came and sat on the picnic table, just to be with me.  I cherish those times and would never want to loose them.  Keely is a city dog and doesn't get much off leach time and it was so enjoyable to watch her run, swim and jump and chase everything.  I watch her for 15 minutes chase a butterfly through the meadow, covering a very large area, going up and down the hills.  I thought to myself, it dosen't get any better than this, not only for me, but for Keely.  At that moment, everything was perfect, as it should be.  While she was here, she learned to swim, play with others and even jump off the dock, but most of all she learned to be a loving dog, without a care in the world, as it should be in a dogs life.
She was the perfect dog and a wonderful guest.  Keely went home last night and it was very hard to see her go.  I have thought of her often in the last two days and wonder what she is doing.  Usually a dog will stay for a week, or 10 days at the most.  Keely stayed just long enough to get into my heart.  With all the dogs that get to stay I do wonder what they are doing just like I wonder what mine are doing when I am on vacation.  Many times Elaine and I will look at each other, and both say "Wonder what the dogs are doing".  
Well Keely, I do wonder what you are doing and miss seeing you.  I sometimes wonder if I get too close to all of them, but then again, maybe I do because they get so close to me....If you want to loose your heart, get a Border Collie......Life is good         
Keely, come back soon......your always welcome