Sunday

Spring Cleaning and More.....

We have had our last litter for the year if Clancy will behave himself.  He can do anything he wants to, even to the point of carrying a set of lock picks, I believe.  Just today when we arrived home from church, he had preformed his magic.  I had cut the grass in the kennel runs yesterday and they all have a gate with a clasp that you can keep them separated or together.  I did not put the clasps back on the gates and Clancy opened the one between his pin and Megs which, opened the one to the common area, which opened the one to Shepp, which opened to Abbie, which opened the one to the outside.  WHEW !!!!    If  he had thumbs, he would dial the phone....

Molly is doing great, and she is the best mother we have.  Dutchess and Meg are good, and do everything right, but Molly always goes the extra step.  Just after the last pup was born this week, I was going to move her and the pups to another stall with fresh and clean bedding.  I attempted to call her out of the whelping box and she wouldn't come.  When I finally coaxed her out, she would just stay for a moment and then run back in.  This went on for a few minutes and I knew there had to be a way.  I didn't want to upset her but I had to make a clean and cozy place for her and her pups.  I knew I was smarter than a dog (at times I do wonder with Border Collies) so I devised a plan....Rather than get her to come to me, I will get her to come to the pups.....Great idea.....I gathered up a handful of pups and took them to the the clean stall.  I grabbed another handful and did the same thing.  As I was going from one stall to another it seemed she had more than I thought, she did have nine pups this time but I was making a lot of trips.  I noticed Molly was making trips with me as expected just to watch and make sure everything was all right.  Little did I know, Molly was carrying a pup back to her whelping box every time she would make the trip too.  (So much for the smarter than the dog theory).  This could go on forever, she wasn't upset, she just didn't want them moved and this was not a one man job....Elaine................. 

Once moved, everything was fine.  Molly is the only dog we have that will grab the pup like a cat and ever so gently with her mouth, move it back into the pile.  If the little fellow strays a little too far away, back it comes....She has always done this. 


This has been a very productive week.  It's not raining so I can catch up on some of the spring chores.  One project that is hard, but I only have to do it every 4 or 5 years is to clean out the Koi pond.  I actually have two of them with a stream that connects them with a waterfall, so it's a muddy and messy project and one that I do not look forward to.  I do enjoy watching the Koi and it's relaxing to sit on the deck beside them and just stare, kinda like watching a campfire.  Well it was an all day job and I was so proud how it looked when I finished.  Abbie and Shepp were glad it was done too, because they decided to take a swim to cool off after some hard running around the farm.  When we purchased Clancy and picked him up from the breeder I asked "do they like water"  He said "oh yes, they love it.  I wanted to know because we had two lakes on the farm.  He also said "Ours are just not allowed to get in our fish pond", they had a small goldfish pond in the yard.  As we were backing out of the driveway, their dog was sitting in the middle of the goldfish pond, unbeknownst to the owner.  Elaine and I looked at each other and laughed.....I should have known.....
Abbie and Shepp should watch themselves, rather than swimming with the Fish, they might be sleeping with the fish.... Just Kidding...