Sunday

A Loyal Dog

Elaine and I are users of Netflix. We are on the two movies at a time plan and do see some great movies with no hassles. On this week's agenda, we watched "Hachi: A Dog's Tale" When the dogs master, dies, a loyal pooch named Hachiko keeps a regular vigil -- for more than a decade.  It's a wonderful movie and I would recommend it to everyone. I will tell you to keep a box of Kleenex handy, you'll need it. What I like about the movie is, it is based on a real story. (for the people who want to look up the real story here are the facts)

In 1924, Hidesaburō Ueno, a professor in the agriculture department at the University of Tokyo took in Hachikō as a pet. During his owner's life Hachikō greeted him at the end of the day at the nearby Shibuya Station. The pair continued their daily routine until May 1925, when Professor Ueno did not return.

The point of this, is there were a few events that occurred this week. One being, I went to town this week and as I was going to the car, Clancy followed me and stood by the door. I opened it and he jumped in and made a circle and sat on the seat and off we went. Later that night, We were sitting in our recliners and Elaine asked me about it, saying "Why do you think Clancy wanted to go with you"  I really didn't know but the obvious answer came to me, and I said "Because he wanted to be with me" That statement made me think and it was nice thoughts about the relationship people can have with dogs. After we got back from town, I got a call from a lady who was put in touch with us about a dog she had. It was a Border Collie that was nine months old. It was given to her a month ago and because of the circumstances at her house, the dog was on a rope in the back yard. The reason she wanted to get rid of the dog was because it jumped on everyone, and they didn't have time or energy to train the dog. Long story made short, We got the dog in a new home and even have a backup plan. I did tell her that the jumping is easily fixed and the dog is starving for affection and the dog wants to give everyone love.

Each dog has an abundance of love for everyone, you just have to accept it. You can scold them, yell at them and some people will whip them, and all you have to do is to clap your hands and smile, and as fast as they can run, they will be in your arms showering you with dog kisses. I wish I had that kind of forgiveness.

I look back and reflect on our dogs. I have never thought about it before, but the reason I love them so much is that they love me with unconditional love. You will only get out of something what you put in, whether it's dogs, relationships, love or God, it's there, you just have to accept it. Some people are very unhappy with things, but they don't do much about it. Life is really about what we do and not what someone does for us.

I look at my dogs and I am now more aware of the things they do. Every time I write at my computer they are around my feet,  or licking my hand.  Even while writing this story, Molly was licking my right hand and putting her nose under my hand wanting to be petted. I would type with one hand and pet her with the other. Every time I walk around the farm or house, they are near me, sitting when I stop. Every time I sit in my recliner, they want to be in my lap, and they are.  They just want to be with us.

Each of our dogs will show their love different, whether it is kisses, licks, protection or snuggling. I remember when we first got Abbie, I was laying down and she jumped on the bed and got next to my body as close as she could. She then pushed with her back feet inching up trying to get even closer and then gave a big sigh as if she was saying, "I'm safe and content, thank you for making me happy".

It breaks my heart to hear stories about the dog that was on the rope because she wanted to jump and I know this is so mild compared to the abuse they sometime receive. When I look into the faces of mine and they look back with those eyes so intense and hanging on every work I say, they cock their head to one side as if saying "I understand".
A wonderful quote from "Marley & Me" is so true. This quote came when Marley was at the end of his life and was being put to sleep and it was said by his master.

A dog has no use for fancy cars, big homes, or designer clothes. A water log stick will do just fine. A dog doesn't care if your rich or poor, clever or dull, smart or dumb. Give him your heart and he'll give you his. How many people can you say that about? How many people can make you feel rare and pure and special? How many people can make you feel extraordinary?

I did a Google search on "Most Loyal Dog Breed".  There were many answers, some with a lot of thought in them.  "Entirely Pets" said that the Number 1 Loyal dog is the Border Collie or "The Rough Collie, it also stated it is a herding breed that originated in Scotland. These friendly dogs are intelligent, active, and good with children and other animals. Rough collies are loyal and protective of their owners, making them an excellent family dog", but we knew this.   Another good answer, and one that I like best was to the question of the most loyal dog, it was "All of Them"

In my heart, if a dog could talk, I believe the first thing they would say, would be "I Love You" and then "wanna play?"  Give your dog a hug today...Ken